How the complaint process works

Do you want to report a violation of the decree? Whether it is to enforce your rights as an employee or to report unfair competition as an employer, we will process your request as soon as possible with the greatest respect.

As an employer, if you wish to report an unfair competition you must contact us by phone or by email at

If your are an employee, you can file a complaint by phone or in person at our office to inform us of the situation.

Filing a complaint 

To make it easier to file and process a complaint about your working conditions, be sure to provide us with the following documents:

  • Payslips
  • Work schedule and personal record of your worked hours
  • Record of employment
  • Correspondence with the employer (letters, emails, text messages…)
  • Any other document you deem necessary.

When you report a complaint by phone, you have three (3) weeks to send us your written complaint and the necessary documents to ensure that your complaint can officially be filed and assigned to an inspector.

If you register a signed complaint in person at our office, it will then be officially filed and will be assigned to an inspector within five (5) working days. You will also have a period of three (3) weeks to send us all the documents or information necessary to process your file.


Accessibility of our services

by phone

We make a commitment to respond to your phone call directly, or, on the following business day, if you leave us a message on a voice mail.

Speak with a consultant:

Toll free number: :


We make a commitment to communicate with the sender of a written request (sent to us by mail, email or fax) inside a period of 5 business days following the reception of the letter.

By fax:

icone pin
In person
at our office

We make a commitment to meet you in person and to respond to your request when you come to our office. If an appointment was not scheduled beforehand, we will do our best to meet with you, based on the availability of our personnel.